Filed under: Culture Jamming and Reality Hacking
From Charlie Todd of Improv Everywhere:
Mp3 Experiment Seven – Full Details
Published on October 1, 2010
Here are the full details for The Mp3 Experiment Seven. Please take the time to read all of the instructions on this page. This event is taking place in New York City.
Date: Saturday, October 2
Location: Midtown Manhattan (see detailed info on map)
Time: The event will begin at exactly 6:00 PM. The event will be over by 7:00.
Wear: Whatever you would normally wear on a Saturday. (We are not doing colored shirts this year. The goal is to blend in with non-participants.)
Bring: A bag (purse, backpack, messenger bag, shopping bag, etc.) that has the following items inside:
– a roll of toilet paper
– two sheets of 8.5 x 11 paper with one huge letter on each of them, either typed or drawn. Chose one vowel and one consonant. Keep other side of each piece of paper blank.
– a marker.
– a wrapped gift of something you have in your home but no longer want that you think someone else might like.
1. Download the Mp3: Mp3 Experiment Download Page
2. Load the track onto your mp3 player (iPod, iPhone, etc.)
3. Do not listen to the track.
4. On Saturday, wear normal clothes and bring a bag containing the above-mentioned items.
5. Bring a watch with a second hand (or use your cell phone if it displays seconds.) Before you leave, sync it up to this atomic clock.
7. As 6:00 approaches, position yourself inside any retail store within the blue-shaded area on the map below. Behave as though you are a normal customer shopping in the store and prepare to press play without drawing attention to yourself. Spread out so that you are not too close to friends or others wearing headphones. If the store seems excessively crowded, find another one.
8. At exactly 06:00:00 PM, press play.
Please note: This is a participatory event. We encourage participants to leave their cameras at home and have fun participating. We request the same from members of the media. Let’s all enjoy the moment and resist the urge to document! Don’t worry, we will have our usual crew taking photos and video for all to see.
For more information and FAQs, check here.